Pashley Speed 5
The Speed 5 is our tribute to the heyday of gentlemanly British cycle racing. This was a time when riders would come together in the noble pursuit of record-breaking times with only the satisfaction and thrill of success for reward. It embodies all that was great about this era, allowing you to follow in the footsteps of these men in your own exciting cycling endeavours.
- Additional Information
- Pashley Sizing
- Enquire About This Product
- Historic racing frame with dynamic riding position: Authentic 1930s Path Racer frame with a long stable wheelbase and relaxed steering geometry, suited to speed cycling and gravel racing! With traditional frame-mounted race number plate. The frame is hand-built using 100 year old traditional methods – with original lightweight Reynolds 531 tubing hand-brazed into lugs – for the attention to detail that only a frame crafted by hand can possess. With traditional tubular crown forks and specially formed D section stays.
- Semi-drop classic racing handlebars: Swept-back, high-strength stainless steel bar for confident handling whilst racing. Finished with traditional black leather bar tape.
- Brass ‘ping’ Bell: A classic bell that is a refined addition to any bicycle. The bell has a domed shape body with a simple sprung finger mechanism that sounds out a clear ‘ting’ to let others know you’re approaching. The bell can be attached to either the handlebars or the stem.
- Classic 5 speed hub Gears: With an easy-shift gear lever, they allow you to tackle hills and glide along gracefully on flatter terrain with ease. Fully enclosed gear system that requires minimal maintenance.
- Powerful fully-enclosed 90mm hub brakes: Large diameter hub-brakes provide reliable stopping power come rain or shine. Enclosed and sealed from all-weathers, these brakes are low maintenance and robust.
- Iconic GB wingnuts: Adds to the Speed 5’s authenticity and makes removal of the wheels that little bit easier. Manufactured in England using the original tooling.
- Classic tyres with puncture protection: a reliable tyre with a puncture protection insert, and a tread design that allows for secure contact with the road surface but with a low rolling resistance.
- Traditional Brooks ‘Swift’ leather saddle: The handsome ‘Swift’ is a gentleman’s racing saddle with delicately hand-skived lower sides for greater comfort whilst pedalling. The leather allows the saddle to breathe and form to your shape over time becoming uniquely comfortable. It’s finished with large hand-beaten copper rivets, and comes with handy loops on the rear for luggage attachment.
- Pedals with traditional toe-clips and leather straps: keep your feet in securely place, helping to transfer your pedal-power more efficiently.
- Golden half-link chain: eye catching design and tough construction to transfer powerful cadence.
50cm, 53cm, 56cm, 59cm
City & Leisure
Pashley’s cycles come in a variety of frame sizes. To select the correct frame size for you, first measure your inside leg length (from the sole of your foot to the inner top of your thigh) in inches. Then, use the table below to find the frame size you will need.
Frame sizes are shown in bold followed by the corresponding inside-leg length range:
|Cycle||Size 1||Size 2||Size 3||Size 4|
|Princess / Britannia / Sonnet / Poppy||17.5" = 27.5 - 31.5"||20" = 30 - 34"||22" = 32 - 36"|
|Country Living Special Edition||17.5" = 27.5 - 31.5"||20" = 30 - 34"|
|Guv'nor||20" = 27 - 31"||20.5" = 29 - 33.5"||22.5" = 31 - 35.5"||24.5" = 33 - 37.5"|
|Speed 5||20.5" = 29 - 33.5"||22.5" = 31 - 35.5"||24.5" = 33 - 37.5"|
|Roadster||20.5" = 30 - 34.5"||22.5" = 32 - 36.5"||24.5" = 34 - 38.5"|
|Roadster 26||20" = 27 - 31"|
|Pathfinder||50cm = 29 - 32"||53cm = 30.5 - 33"||56cm = 31.5 - 34"||59cm = 32.5 - 35"|
|Clubman / Countryman||20" = 27 - 32"||21.5" = 28.5 - 33.5"||23" = 30 - 35"||24.5" = 31.5 - 36.5"|
|Aurora||18" = 27 - 31"||20" = 30 - 34"||22" = 33 - 37"|
|Parabike / Penny / Tube Rider||19" = 28 - 34"|
|Picador / Tri-1||15" = 25.5 - 32.5"||17" = 27.5 - 35.5"|
|Pickle||Child's = 17 - 20.5"|
|Robin||Child's = 16 - 22"|
Please note that your inside leg length may fall in-between two frame sizes. If so, you may wish to choose the larger frame size if you have relatively short legs for your height and the smaller frame size if you have relatively long legs for your height.
The frame size in inches is the distance between the centrepoint of the cycle's bottom bracket (where the pedal arm extends from) and the top of the frame's seat tube (where the seatpost enters the frame).
Saddle and Handlebar Position
All models have easy seat height adjustment, with some fore and aft movement and angle adjustment for fine tuning your riding position. The saddle should ideally sit level or be slightly tilted downwards and the height should be set so that, with the pedal at its lowest position and the ball of your foot (in normal shoes) on the pedal, your leg is very slightly bent. If you then place your heel on the pedal, your leg should be straight. On step-over frame models (e.g. the Princess) you should be able to ‘put a foot down’ when you stop, whilst on leg-over frame models (e.g. the Roadster), as they are built to a traditional pattern with a high bottom bracket, you will need to slip off the saddle when you come to a halt.
Your cycle’s handlebar can be raised and lowered, and also canted to give the most comfortable riding position. If a shorter reach is required, the handlebar stem can be reversed bringing the handlebar much closer to the rider.
Due to variations in riding styles and cycle usage patterns, any stated bicycle weight limit is somewhat subjective. However, we are legally obliged to provide weight limits for our cycles; please find these in the table below:
|Cycle||Max Load (rider+luggage) in KG||Max Load (rider+luggage) in lbs|
|Princess/Britannia/Sonnet/Poppy||110 kg||240 lbs|
|Roadster/Roadster 26||120 kg||265 lbs|
|Guv'nor/Speed 5||120 kg||265 lbs|
|Penny||110 kg||240 lbs|
|Parabike/Tube Rider||120 kg||265 lbs|
|Aurora/Countryman/Clubman||120 kg||265 lbs|
|Pathfinder||120 kg||265 lbs|
|Tricycle||Max Load (rider+luggage) in KG||Max Load (rider+luggage) in lbs|
|Picador||110kg + 25kg luggage||220lb + 55lb luggage|
|Tri 1||110kg + 25kg luggage||220lb + 55lb luggage|
|Pickle (child's tricycle)||25 kg||55 lb|
|Robin (child's tricycle)||30 kg||66 lb|
Pashley Cycles are built to very high standards and as well as being elegant in their design, they are also extremely robust, and are rigorously stress tested. It is important to be aware that heavy riders and those who frequently carry heavy loads will place more stress on their bicycle and on its components; these riders should ensure that their bicycle is serviced at frequent intervals. Cyclists who have a good riding style and ‘ride light’ tend to place less stress on their bicycle frames and components; all cyclists are encouraged to learn these skills, not only to enhance bicycle durability and reliability, but also to improve efficiency. Ultimately, all cycles – regardless of the load they carry – should be checked and serviced regularly.
|Colour||British Racing Green.|
|Gears||Sturmey Archer XLRD-5 speed hub gear with thumb shifter.|
|Frame||Traditional lugged and brazed construction with authentic 1930s geometry. Scalloped lugs and Reynolds 531 butted tubes. Individually hand-built.|
|Fork||Tubular crown, hand-brazed.|
|Saddle||Brooks black Swift natural leather saddle with chromed steel rails.|
|Handlebar||Semi-drop bar on a forged alloy quill stem.|
|Brakes||Sturmey Archer 90mm all-weather, low maintenance front and rear hub brakes.|
|Wheels||Gold lined black alloy Westwood rims with stainless steel spokes.|
|Tyres||28x1 1/2" Black Schwalbe Delta Cruiser tyres with puncture protection.|
|Pedals||Alloy body with toe clips and black leather straps.|
|Crankset||Sugino polished alloy crankset (46T, 170mm) with guard.|
|Other Features||Micro-adjust alloy seatpost, brass bell, Brooks black leather handlebar tape, golden chain, Race number, GB wingnuts.|
|Frames Sizes||20.5", 22.5" and 24.5" (double top tube frame).|